If your goal is to produce a well-written children's picture book, it's important to be sure that the words and illustrations are just right. Children respond well to age-appropriate language, believable storylines and characters with whom they can identify.
Children’s books contain fewer words than adult books, making every word count. I will help you tell your story, while capturing children’s interest and imagination. I will offer recommendations for ways to strengthen the plot, characters and language, and adjust the narrative if necessary, to be sure the illustrations match the words. I will help you identify your target audience and will work with you to make your message come through in an age-appropriate way.
If your story is ready for a Comprehensive Edit, I will:
• Make the actual changes, helping to re-write parts of the story if necessary
to make your message more meaningful.
• Create an exciting opening.
• Make sure the story has forward movement and an identifiable beginning,
middle and end.
• Correct the grammar and punctuation.
• Correct the meter of rhyming books, adding or replacing words if needed.
• Add dialogue where needed.
• Add or delete words to tighten the language and give the story more meaning.
• Assist with character development.
• Edit your book summary and bio.
You will receive:
A completed manuscript
I will keep in touch with you during the editing process and send you updated drafts as the work proceeds. Revisions must be requested within 6 weeks following the completion of the edit.
If you prefer to begin with a Critique, I will offer advice for modifying your manuscript to make it understandable to your target audience. I will offer suggestions for giving the story more meaning through fewer words and the right amount of forward movement. I will also offer constructive assistance with rhyme scheme and meter.
In addition, I will evaluate:
• the language and vocabulary, keeping in mind the way children process information.
• the strength of your main character.
• the story arc, making sure the story has a meaningful beginning, middle and end.
You will receive
• A written review of your work that will allow you to make significant revisions.
• Recommendations for ways to strengthen and improve the text and flow of your story.
Picture Book - Comprehensive Edit - $325
Picture Storybook - Comprehensive Edit - $350
Critique - $100
Rhyming stories are evaluated on an individual basis. The fee is $325 to $400, depending on the amount of work needed to correct the rhyme scheme, meter and language.
Edit of your bio and book summary is free with a Comprehensive edit.
1. Email your manuscript in a Word doc or Pages (for Mac) to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include information about yourself (one or two sentences). Include a short description of the main theme of your story and the message you wish the story to communicate. Also indicate the age/reading level of your target audience and the number of words in your manuscript.
2. Tell me the word count of your story and which editing services you are requesting.
2. You will receive an email from me confirming the receipt of your work. This email will include an estimated timeline for completion, along with the total cost for the project.
3. You will receive an invoice through PayPal for one half of the total cost of the edit. Payment is due before I begin the editing process. The final balance will be due prior to the delivery of the final draft of your edited manuscript.
4. My normal turnaround time is up to a week for a Comprehensive Edit.
Any and all information you provide will be treated as strictly confidential. At no time will I ever share your information with anyone or use it for my own benefit. The security of your information is of utmost importance.
“This editing expert really delivers and she uses her special “Fairy Dust” insight to work her magic!” — Matt K.
“5 stars --excellent job-highly recommend” — Sandra W.
Bobbie Hinman is a talented editor. Children's book authors can benefit a lot from her expertise and knowledge. Highly recommended! — Hui L.
“Bobbie was an absolute pleasure to work with! She was extremely straightforward
and was great at answering any questions that I had. I would highly recommend Bobbie!” — Peter J.
“It was a pleasure to work with Bobbi! She is amazing at what she does” — Teydon R.
“It’s perfect! Thank you for everything and I will keep in touch with you.
Great job!” — Sol R.
“Thank you, it is lovely! I really like working with you. All your ideas are always
superb.” — Serena F.
“Thank you for the work you put into my book. The part about you added really adds some cuteness that the book was lacking. There are also more places for the illustrator to take advantage of "action" now as well.” — Kelly B.
“Thank you for the wonderful and very helpful critique! I will definitely use your suggestions!”— Cindy L.
“I AM THRILLED! You captured everything I wanted to convey! Your changes are excellent. Your ideas for illustrations are spot on!” — Kim S.
“Seriously, I'm loving this! You've taken it to the next level I've been searching for. Thank you!” — Becky D.
“You are so good at this! Thank you so much, Bobbie!” — Leslie N.
“Bobbie, what you have done is so AMAZING!” — Johnny M.
“I am grateful for your eye for detail but even more grateful that you restored my faith in myself.” — Heather F.
“This is great Bobbie! Thank you so much!” — Aditi K.
“Wow! Just wow!! I wish I had you in my life earlier!!! I sincerely appreciate the love you breathed into this story.“ — Cherinita R
“Bobbie, thank you so much for the excellent editing. I love what you did to make our story even stronger. You have been part of bringing it to life. We will always be grateful. Thank you again for being a part of such an important journey!”— Julie Y.
“Thank you so much for all hard work, it really transformed it! You are amazing! Thank you so much!” — Jesse L.
“Bobbie this is fantastic! It really smoothed out the flow.” — Rita G.
“The first time I read through the manuscript I found myself grinning from ear to ear. You strengthened my story and still retained my original voice. Thank you.”—Conner T.
“I absolutely love it Bobbie! It is amazing how much life you have given to my books! Ahhh! I am so excited!” — Laura D.
“Thanks Bobbie! Your work is impeccable! You have done an awesome job bringing my story to life. Thank you for your professionalism and expertise.” — Atiya B.
“It has been a wonderful experience working with you! You have made my story so much better and have exceeded all my expectations!”— Eugenia C.
The best editor I have ever encountered...... Bobbie Hinman. If you anyone is looking for a brilliant editor look no further. I can not recommend this woman enough. A true gem that makes a huge difference. Just ask me!! — Sol R.
Bobbie, I think you've done a fantastic job on my story! It's beautiful! I love all the adjustments! Thank you so much!! — Laura D.
I absolutely love it! Thank you so much! I look forward to working with you in the future! Thanks again! — Melanie H.
I’m really excited about how this has turned out…Your fine tuning is just what my writing needed. I look forward to working with you on future projects! — Deven T.
I never doubted how amazing you are when those who've worked with you before said so. But I'm
still overwhelmed by your knowledge, creativity and editing skills. You've made my book so much better! -- Andrea C.
Thank you so much Bobbie.
This means the world to me. You've helped me and my daughter's dream come true.--